Friday, September 23, 2005

The Arcade Fire, non-ACL show 9/23/05

There was nobody I wanted to see at ACL on Friday night, so friend Amy and I went to see The Arcade Fire at Stubb's. We got there early enough to secure a place up front.

In a moment of telepathy, Amy and I had the exact same thought about opening band The Black Keys, "It's not my thing, but they are very good at it." I'm hyper-pleased with the photos I took of them. Blurry, yet in focus also. I really need to figure out how to do it on purpose.

The Black Keys

The Arcade Fire started on a melancholy note with lead guitarist/singer Win Butler saying he used to live in Houston. The band sent out best wishes to the people of the Gulf Coast with a cover of Bob Dylan's "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall". It was sad and beautiful.

They went from there into their standard opening song "Wake Up". It was amazing being in the midst of a crowd that loudly sang out the "ohhh" parts. They played a surprising number of non-Funeral tracks (setlist here), including songs from their re-released first EP and "5 Days", a David Bowie song. The highlights for me were "Tunnels" and "Power Out", great songs on album but stunningly powerful live.

Overall, it was a great show, though my prediction has held true, their show in January in Emo's is still the best thing I've seen all year.

The Arcade Fire 9/23/05 in Austin

The Arcade Fire 9/23/05 in Austin

More pics of both bands here.


Technorati tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment