Friday, March 17, 2006

SXSW: No time for details

I'm in the thick of SXSW music. No time to write extensively about all the greatness I've experienced the last few days. Suffice to say that yesterday was one of the best days of music IN MY LIFE. No joke.

A quick enumeration:

1) Hidden Cameras at Emo's

A day show by a band that didn't make it across the Canadian border when they were supposed to play SXSW 2004. Just amazing. The best part was that I got to play tambourine with them on stage. Incredibly cool.

2) Richard Hawley at Emo's

Mr. Hawley played the same day show. Never heard of him before and he blew me away. I love getting blind-sided by music. Listen to him.

3) Echo & the Bunnymen at Town Lake

Free outdoor show. New stuff was decent. They delivered on the old stuff: Never Stop, Bring On the Dancing Horses, The Cutter, The Killing Moon, Rescue. Wheee!

4) Morrissey at Austin Music Hall

Played what seemed like his entire new album with a couple songs from his last one. Oh yeah, and some Smiths songs: Still Ill, Girlfriend in a Coma, How Soon is Now?, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me. HOLY FUCK! I heard How Soon is Now? actually coming out of Morrissey mouth. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a little bit. How could this night get any better?

5) Hidden Cameras at Molotov

After eating and getting a bit of caffeine in me, I was ready to dance up a storm at their regular showcase. When we (Jen K and mybloody) got to the venue, we were worried. It was a "classy" bar with a make-shift stage crammed under a staircase. And there wasn't anybody there. Thankfully a crowd gathered as the band struggled with guitar problems. Joel borrowed a guitar from the next band (all hail Pong!) and, being left-handed, played it upside-down. They turned in a blistering set of glorious sound. The audience was over the moon and the band was clearly having a fantastic time. Stumbled out sweaty, spent, and raving over what an incredible day we were having.

6) Figurines at Karma

Jen K was kind of enough to indulge me in seeing a bit of this band's set before me went home. I've become entranced by one of their songs lately and wanted to see them play it. It was a little weird to arrive at the club, sit in the back room as they played their first song, run out and dance furiously to "The Wonder" while mouthing the words, then just leave right after. Whatever. I was a tired puppy.

Great great great great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment