Thursday, May 19, 2005

Whew, busy busy evening

Very busy at work last night. Tons of patients and between 6 and 10 PM, we had 5 L&Ds. L&D is labor and delivery, also known as pregnant ladies about to pop.

*****

We see a lot of patients who only speak Spanish and I'm trying to recover some of mine from many years ago. A lot of the time I can formulate questions, I just wouldn't be able to understand the answer. So far I can ask and understand the response to, "Do you need a doctor?" and "Is this your first time here?" and "What's your name and date of birth?" It's going to be a while before I can understand what's wrong with them.

On the administrative side, I'm one of a very few white guys who doesn't speak Spanish. It's a hindrance to me, but I can always trade patients with a co-worker. The medical staff overwhelmingly doesn't and that can be a problem if there aren't enough translators around. I have to take a Spanish for Health Workers class for my degree, though I'd do it even if it wasn't required. I plan to move away from Texas after I graduate, but being passibly fluent in medical Spanish would be an asset anywhere.

*****

Tonight a married couple came in and first off the husband states his title rather than just say that his wife is ill. I'm not going to say the title or his field, but he's not an entertainer and this is the capital of Texas. That really bugged me for two reasons. First, we don't care what your job is, everybody is seen according to their medical needs. Second, how about telling us what's wrong with your wife first before throwing around your "weight"? Hmph.

No comments:

Post a Comment