Friday, May 13, 2005

A tale from the psych ward

Despite striking out on my own at work rather than follow other employees around like a puppy, it was a fairly unremarkable evening. So, I'll tell a story I heard from one of my professors.

Dr. C was a student nurse at the time and was working on the psych ward. She and her fellow students heard a patient down the hall start yelling. All the other students ran the other way, but Dr. C responsibly (and bravely) marched down the hall to the patient's room.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Yes!" he shouted, "Get in this bed and fuck me!"

"I'm sorry sir, that's not within my duties," she stated with great aplomb, "Is there any other way I can help you?"

Without hesitation he responded, "Yes, I would like some juice."

1 comment:

  1. My friend is a nurse in a psych ward in a suburb of Chicago (in the hospital in which I was born, coincidentally), and she once told me her job is fine except that their refrigerator is behind the nurse's station and sometimes she gets sick of getting the patients juice all the time. I think the direct quote was a severe eye-roll accompanied by "Ugccch, they all want JUICE."

    ReplyDelete