Friday, April 01, 2005

My mother's sense of humor

One year on April Fool's Day, my mother woke up early and snuck around the house setting all the clocks ahead. Then she rousted my sisters and I out of bed yelling that everyone had overslept and we were going to be late for school. We lept out of bed, threw on clothes, and had a few bites to eat. Only when we were on the way out the door did we notice that it was too dark outside. My mother was quite taken with her prank and cackled, we were less than amused.

She tried it again the next year, but we were ready. Then she started doing it at random times of the year. Sometimes several years would go by and she'd get us again. I don't know why she was so fixated on that particular prank. It's like she had one good idea and then beat it to death with repetition. Like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

For your edification, the top 100 April Fool's hoaxes of all time as decided by somebody or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment