Thursday, January 05, 2006

Rose Bowl aftermath

Even though I'm getting my second bachelor's degree from UT Austin, I've never been a booster of its sports teams. I'm just not a sports guy, and the non-joiner in me reflexively withdrawals from rabid fandom. Regardless, the Longhorns winning the Rose Bowl was thrilling, with a smattering of dread. Great game, very exciting, and yet because of that win I'll be working my ass off at University Co-op shipping tons of UT-branded merchandise to fans all over the country for the next several weeks.

Before each semester begins I usually work the graveyard shift as a temp, filling textbook orders. This time, I started earlier than usual because of all the pre-Rose Bowl excitement. For the past two weeks, I've boxed up countless Rosebowl Bound T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, pins, pennants, buttons, keychains, orange wristbands, mugs, shot glasses, koozies, $300 DVD collections of 2005 games, and real roses with UT designs screen-printed on the petals.

This is of course in addition to the regular merchandise the Co-op carries like shower curtains, bed linens, golf bags, poker chips, Santa-in-burnt-orange Christmas ornaments, bottle openers that play "The Eyes of Texas", wheelchair wheel covers, and baby indoctrination DVDs. I swear, they could bottle Bevo farts and they'd sell. It's astounding how much money people will spend on really ugly crap.

Well, at least there will be plenty of overtime available. I start tonight at 11 PM, wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, if you could hook me up with some Bevo farts, that'd be bitchin'.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As expected, the vendor is running behind Joolie. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete