Saturday, September 25, 2004

How does Trey Parker do it?

How has Trey Parker maintained the high quality of South Park so long? Whenever I think the show has plateaued, along comes a "Korn’s Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery" or a "Scott Tenorman Must Die".

This season, the killer ep for me is "Good Times With Weapons". It's not just the perfect anime look and last minute crack at the public conniption fit over Janet Jackson's Superbowl show (Quoth my roommate, "Relax everyone, it's just a boob."), the theme song has captivated me for weeks. A spot-on parody of anime music, complete with bad English tossed in among Japanese lyrics, it lodges itself firmly in your skull.

By accident, I discovered the lyrics are written out phonetically in the closed captioning whereupon I transcribed and started learning them. I suspected the Japanese was not gibberish and confirmed it with a quick online search. Go here and read them for yourself at the bottom of the page unless you are, somehow, not a fan of juvenile dick jokes.

Urge to record a cover as a Christmas present rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment