Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Birthdays and Morrissey

After finishing up my Advanced Cardiac Life Support class on Saturday, I hopped a bus to Austin for Mybloodyself's birthday party. It had all the classic elements: good people, food, alcohol, dancing. This year brought the added element of shirtlessness whilst dancing. There is photographic evidence somewhere out there.

Sunday was laid back for the most part. Dinner at Titaya, so that we wouldn't become hungry on our subsequent emotional journey, then off to see Morrissey at Bass Concert Hall. Of the times I've seen him, this was the most aggressive and rocking. Didn't tear up for "How Soon is Now?" like the first time, but it was certainly affecting. Would have liked more early solo work, but I'm not going to argue. Thanks to Mybloody for getting tickets and this setlist.

1. This Charming Man (Smiths)
2. Billy Budd (Vauxhall)
3. Black Cloud (Years of Refusal)
4. How Soon is Now? (Smiths)
5. Irish Blood, English Heart (Quarry)
6. When I Last Spoke to Carol (Years of Refusal)
7. How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? (Quarry)
8. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (Years of Refusal)
9. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Smiths)
10. Something is Squeezing My Skull (Years of Refusal)
11. Seasick, Yet Still Docked (Your Arsenal)
12. The Loop (World of Morrissey)
13. The World is Full of Crashing Bores (Quarry)
14. Death of a Disco Dancer (Smiths)
15. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell (Years of Refusal)
16. I Keep Mine Hidden (Smiths, a B-side to a single)
17. Sorry Doesn't Help (Years of Refusal)
18. Ask (Smiths)
19. Let Me Kiss You (Quarry)
20. I'm OK By Myself (Years of Refusal)

21. First of the Gang to Die (Quarry) -> Swingin' on a Star (cover)

Monday I was back on the bus to Houston. The flip over from being awake during the day to at night occupied Monday night (there is a process) and now I'm off to work. Oh and Happy 15th anniversary Turner Classic Movies, you are a great TV channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment