Tuesday, April 11, 2006

On the the subject of infants' level of cool

From last Wednesday to Sunday, I was at the National Student Nursing Association convention in Baltimore. I’ll write more about that later, but I just remembered something.

One of my guy nursing student friends calls things “gay” all the time, like in the 5th grade sense. “That test was gay,” and so forth. He used to apologize to me when he did it, until I convinced him that I knew what he meant, it didn’t offend me, and that it actually made me laugh because it was so childish.

During the convention we were at dinner one night and someone started talking about her experience on the maternity floor at the hospital. Several other people joined in, cooing about how precious the babies can be. In a lull in the conversation, both as a rebuke to all the goo-goo talk and a crack at my guy friend, I said in my most contemptuous surfer dude voice, “Babies are gay.”

No comments:

Post a Comment