Monday, November 21, 2005

A 6ths singers autograph collection

Years ago, in the first blush of my Magnetic Fields/all-things-Stephin Merritt fandom, I started to collect the autographs of the singers on the first 6ths album. The genesis was when singers Barbara Manning and Georgia Hubley were on the same tour, Barbara opening for Yo La Tengo. After that, it was just a matter of going to see the singer when they were touring and asking nicely.

6ths: Barbara Manning, Stephin Merritt, & Mary Timony autographs

6ths: Mac McCaughan and Georgia Hubley autographs

6ths: Lou Barlow autograph

6ths: Chris Knox & Claudia Gonson autographs

I'm still not done, though I've became pretty lazy about it. I only just got Lou Barlow to sign this year, and despite many opportunities I still haven't got Dean Wareham. I figure I have a good shot at getting Jeffrey Underhill and Mark Robinson if they ever tour again, and Mitch Easter if I ever visit his recording studio. I doubt I'll ever get the ones living outside the US, though Amelia Fletcher might be tour again. If I go to new Zealand like I plan, I'll make a stab at tracking down Robert Scott.

I never bothered with the singers on the second 6ths album even though Momus and Sally Timms have come to Austin. A couple years ago I was in DC and went to see Bob Mould DJ at a club. I briefly regretted not having the liner notes with me, but (unintentionally) rubbing up against him on the dancefloor made for a more memorable experience anyway.

In 2000 when Chris Knox came to Austin, he made good on a promise to sign the liner notes made several years before during a phone interview. Per my request, he drew a caricature of Stephin Merritt as well. The depiction and word choice are both inaccurate - Stephin is cuter and doesn't speak New Zealand English - yet it still captures a certain essence of Stephin.

Chris Knox caricature of Stephin Merritt


Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

  1. The Bats are playing SXSW. Robert Scott can be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh snap! i was going to tell you that but he beat me to it. well hopefully they are if all goes well with magic marker getting their showcase. but craig wants 'em so i'm sure they will perform at sxsw next year. but if you go to new zealand take me with you.

    ReplyDelete