Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ann Richards didn't like me

Like some other people I know, I voted for Ann Richards in 1994. She was so very entertaining. Yay Ann! Sadly, Dubya defeated her. Boo Dubya. Then she went to work for a lobbying firm and while she herself did not lobby for tobacco companies, the firm did. Boo Ann.

I had two run-ins with Ann Richards. The first was in 1999 when I lived near Clarksville. I was walking down West Lynn when I saw her getting out of her car in front of the dry cleaners. For seemingly no good reason, she looked at me disapprovingly. I'm quite certain my hair was my normal color. OK then.

The second time was in the summer of 2001 when I was petitioning outside of Bookpeople for a campaign finance reform measure. Knowing that she was not a supporter, I approached her anyway,
"M'am, can I get you to sign to support campaign finance reform in Austin?"
She stared daggers at me and said, "You cannot. It's a terrible idea."
She marched past me and into the store. Whoo-hoo, Ann Richards chastised me.

So that's my Ann Richards stories. Oh, also just a few months ago I saw Anna Deavere Smith workshopping a new theatre piece about the body and illness in which Smith performed as Ann Richards in addition to many other real people as she's done before. It was great, Smith really captured the voice and presence of our former Governor. See it if it comes back around.

1 comment:

  1. Oh darlin.... I know you and love you and I still stare at you disapprovingly...

    ReplyDelete